Monday 23 April 2012

Frost damage and other things.

About a week ago we had a frost overnight and now our vines are either sulking or dead! As an non-agricultural person it's hard to comprehend just how reliant on the weather and therefore, things definitely beyond my control, we are.

The vines that had leaves out and are in the parcel next to the house got hit really hard and all the other parcels except the smallest (hmm I'm not feeling got at) have patches of it.

Having talked to some other vignerons in the area because a lot of the buds were not out, its still possible it'll be ok. Also because I was a little over generous when pruning, we have a few to spare. It'll probably push the harvest back, but on the plus side, our bunches might be bigger!

Everyone needs to keep all their lucky digits crossed for us.

The weather here keeps remorselessly plodding on being dreary and wet. Yesterday for the first day since my aunt, uncle and cousins were here (sorry guys) it held off raining (at least in a torrential fashion) for most of the day, which meant that I now have the stakes in for the tomatoes, bean poles up (although for how long, they're more than a bit wafty) and I've started the war on mystery yellow plants. I have no idea what these things are but they have roots that could invade most of Europe from here.

Today, it being Monday, is admin day. Sigh. I need to speak to Cyril the wood man  and then, I'm off to Bergerac for fun with the TVA form, Orange (take a deep breath now) and the Dr's for form filling. I'll either come back feeling like I've accomplished things or I'll be wound up and fractious, at this point it could go either way.

I have my lucky socks on.

No comments:

Post a Comment